When you fall in love with a dog and bring him home, visits from the police or trips to the lawyer couldn't be further from your mind. But like many things in life, owning dogs comes with some legal responsibilities. You owe it to yourself, and your new charge, to know and adhere to the laws in your community.
Most Popular Articles in Dog Laws
All Stories In Dog Laws
- A list of 12 strange laws that are designed to protect animals in 7 American states.
- Over the past 20 years, Animal Law has become more popular and has earned legitimacy as an area...
- Find out which states were rated the best and worst in the ALDF’s annual report.
- The Animal Legal Defense Fund has released its 2012 report on animal cruelty laws.
- A review of the results from the 2013 Animal Legal Defense Fund that ranks animal-protection laws.
- The ALDF’s 2014 study that ranks U.S. states according to animal cruelty laws.
- The Cook County Board voted unanimously to ban the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits, in pet stores.
- A German Shepherd dog was to be euthanized, as specified in his owner’s will.
- Every night, when you're about to drift off to sleep, it starts. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof......
- New Jersey lawmakers are considering legislation that would regulate pet groomers.
- The French parliament has decided that pets are not property, but are living beings with feelings.
- Proposed Florida legislation would de-couple Greyhound racing from gambling at tracks.
- Matrimony lawyers are seeing an increase in custody issues over pet dogs and cats.
- Kentucky’s House Bill 154 seeks to strengthen dog-fighting laws in that state.
- Estate planning is important for a variety of reasons, including the care of your pets.
- A tattoo artist could face animal cruelty charges for tattooing his Pit Bull dog.
- A bill in New Jersey puts new restrictions on puppy mill dogs and pet retail stores.
- Thanks to a new law, pet owners can no longer tattoo their animals in the state of New York.
- AB 1809 mandates all dog importers whose canines enter the state have health certificates.
Experts Questions and Answers In Dog Laws
- Dog Laws